University of the Witwatersrand Faculty of Health Sciences Research Day and Postgraduate Expo
Witness Mapanga: The University of the Witwatersrand Faculty of Health Sciences Research Day and Postgraduate Expo (Towards 100 years of excellence) was held on 6 September 2018. The day brought together academics, researchers and students together to display their research and at the same time promoting exchange of ideas. Besides research presentations, the Phillip V. Tobias Plenary Lecture and a number of notable round table discussions also characterised the day. Discussions were on the following topical issues:
· Maximising the benefit of the sugar tax – will it work. and options for exploration
· Listeria – are we sitting on a food safety time bomb?
· Disrupting Healthcare in a Digital World
I made two oral presentations on our current work here at CHP and part of my PhD research project. The two presentations were titled:
· Strategies to strengthen mental illness in PHC setting: Learning how to conduct an umbrella review and develop an Evidence Map
· Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices of young people in Zimbabwe on Cervical Cancer and HPV
Both my presentations generated many discussions with attendees particularly interested in knowing how to develop and utilise an Evidence Map, and how findings from the KAP study are going to be integrated in policy decisions in Zimbabwe.